Tuesday, July 23, 2013

Healing with the Spirit

Overcoming childhood sexual abuse is a unique process as Jennifer mentioned below in her previous post.  It is also a changing process which can be frustrating at times.  There are things that have helped me in the past to take leaps and bounds in healing which I've come to find are ineffective years later.  There are also multiple blogs, therapies, and research studies that can prove one type of healing to be more effective than another.  It is my experience that not only are all of us different, so different things will work for us than others, but it is also important to note that depending on what we are facing in a specific time in our lives will change what is effective or not.

It is vital to be patient in this process not only with ourselves but those around us.  Healing from childhood sexual abuse is most successful when accompanied by the Spirit.  Heavenly Father truly understands what will help us to overcome and become.

"He loves us. He weeps with us when we suffer and rejoices when we do what is right. Heavenly Father has provided us, His children, with a way to be successful in this life and to return to live in His presence."  (Preach My Gospel)

Today I was thinking about different types of survivors of abuse.  There are those who can supress their past and still have a fulfilling life, there are some that are angry and find comfort in that anger, some are continually spewing there past out to anyone they come in contact with, others are bitter and believe if God was a loving God He wouldn't have allowed those things to happen to them.  Regardless of what type of survivor you are through the Spirit we can be guided to the process of healing that will bring lasting happiness and peace.  Most likely it will be a lifelong process but as our circumstances change Heavenly Father can help us understand what we need even when we do not.  

Often times when I think about my own personal journey of healing it is coupled with much fasting and prayer.   Not only have I prayed for strength and courage to face things to difficult to handle on my own but I have included those around me (including therapists), who are seeing to help, in my prayers.   When I have felt overwhelmed and unsure on how to move forward those whom I have asked for help and have sought to follow the Spirit as well have given me exactly what I needed.  This is due to purity that Heavenly Father loves us, wants us to succeed, and as we show our faith He provides a way...often times through those around us.  

Therefore, verily I say unto you, lift up your voices unto this people; speak the thoughts that I shall put into your hearts, and you shall not be confounded before men;
 For it shall be given you in the very hour, yea, in the very moment, what ye shall say. (Doc & Cov 100:5-6)

This scripture is often times referred to with missionary work but is applies to our everyday lives.  It is easy for me to get caught up in what to say and not to say in this blog and to individuals.  I think, "What do they need to hear, what do I need to say, is this going to be a trigger for someone or is this going to bring about healing..." My challenge is to "lift up [my] voice" and follow "the thoughts that I shall put into your hearts". 

From a professional standpoint this is also true for therapists and counselors.  Even with years of formal education and experience each client is different.  With the companionship of the Spirit you can and will be guided with your pure intents in aiding your clients to progress beyond your own capabilities.  This is something I rejoice in knowing.  We do not need to rely purely on our knowledge or lack there of but can receive guidance from the Spirit in healing and being healed by the Great Physician. 

No comments:

Post a Comment

We would love to hear from you and understand there may be a need for anonymity so we have included anonymous posts availability.