Friday, January 17, 2014

The Decision to take Medication and What to ask a psychiatrist.

If you have clinical depression, Anxiety or other PTSD symptoms that are severe- your therapist may refer you to a psychiatrist who can prescribe medications. As a therapist I can attest to the benefit medication has been to many of my clients. Like I have mentioned in the past, studies have shown that a combination of therapy and medication is often the most successful for clients. That said medication is not a happy pill --it doesn't solve your problems and it is not for everyone. Psychiatric medications are widely misunderstood in our society. Become educated on the subject by talking to professionals. (not just the internet, or friends and family)

I have found that medication has helped some of my clients get to what I call a "level playing ground". It gives them the stability to then start doing the work that needs to be done in therapy. It is a personal decision and people have strong feelings about taking or not taking drugs, so always use prayer to guide your decisions and then stand firm no matter what those around you may feel or think.

If you do decide you would like to meet with a psychiatrist here are some of the questions that Dr. Matsakis recommended asking on your first visit.
  1. What is my psychiatric diagnosis?
  2. What various types of medications have been found helpful for this diagnosis?
  3. What are the potential benefits of this medication and the possible negative side effects of this medication?
  4. Are there any initial side effects that will disappear in time. If so how long should I wait for the initial symptoms to disappear before I call the office?
  5. Why is this particular medication being chosen over another one?
  6. How much research has been done on this particular medication and what is the probability that it will be helpful?
  7. How long does it take for this particular medication to take effect?
  8. What if I forget to take the medication at the prescribed time? Should I take it later in the day or wait until the next day. If I skip a day should I double it the next day?
  9. Will this medication interact with any other medication I am on? (share what medications you may be taking)
  10. How will you know if the dosage needs to be changed?
  11. Do you have literature on this medication?
  12. Can I become addicted to this medication?
  13. What will happen to me if I were to suddenly stop taking the medication?
  14. At what point can the medication be discontinued? Is there a point where the body becomes immune to the medicine and it ceases to be effective?
  15. If this medication does not work what other medications are available?



No comments:

Post a Comment

We would love to hear from you and understand there may be a need for anonymity so we have included anonymous posts availability.